Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Power Outage

Yup, that's right. The power went out today, or rather, sometime last night. I woke up around six-fifteen and quickly decided that sitting around the house without power or Internet until my class at the gym wasn't going to happen. So, instead I went to the gym early and just ran ~4.5 miles on the old treadmill. Treadmills can get very boring, but this morning I had lots of entertainment given all the coverage of last night's debate.

After my run and shower it was only 9:30, and since I had only grabbed a banana to eat before my run I needed food asap. I decided to try something new, namely, Julia's Kitchen in North Boulder. It's only been open for a few months I think, a fact that was evident by the lack of other customers eating there. The restaurant is small and tucked into a larger group of shops, so I suspect many people don't even know it's there. Julia's focuses on all organic vegetarian food, and though the menu at points seems a bit too "crunchy"--even for me--it was really good! (BTW, when I say it maybe seemed a bit too crunchy, I mean that there is a fair bit of raw food items; while I'm very much interested in vegetarian food with little to no added sugar and all whole grains, I'm not so eager to eat raw "lasagna." I've had raw lasagna, and it is not lasagna. F that shit.)

My original choice was to have the porridge, which is basically their version of a hot breakfast cereal. However, because they make the porridge with coconut sugar added to it, I decided on something else. I'm sure coconut sugar is much better for you than lots of other sugars, but it's still sugar and I'm trying to avoid extra added sugars, especially at 9:30 a.m.

I finally decided on the hummus pizza, which is "sprouted chickpea hummus spread on a sprouted buckwheat and millet sourdough crust, topped with vegetables and sprinkled with sumac and fresh thyme."




It's strange, but I'm pretty sure that the veggies were broccoli, cucumber, and ... sauerkraut!!! But, somehow, it was really good. I actually like sauerkraut, but I think it's possible that I might have liked the pizza even if I didn't like sauerkraut. Anyway, the hummus was really thick and flavorful, and the buckwheat crust was crunchy on the outside and soft inside--perfect!

I stayed at Julia's for awhile after eating my breakfast/lunch, and then I went to meet David on campus. One of the perks of being married to a professor is being able to use his office for work, while other grad students are often forced to share big communal work spaces or do without offices at all.

And, I get to see what David is preaching to his poor students:




Umm, something tells me that David's students' parents won't appreciate seeing what their big tuition dollas are going towards...

Oh well! In other news, another beautiful sunset up here in Sunshine Canyon. Please write me asap if you hate seeing these pictures, find them pointless or repetitive, etc.


The caged-in area on the bottom right is part of Haruki's outdoor pen. It helps her avoid being eating by mountain lions. Also, it gives her somewhere to hide all the treats that we give her to make her breath better. Yah, because she's definitely not eating them.

*What did you have for lunch today? Really, I like hearing about other peeps' eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment