Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Sprouts n' Oats

So, in keeping with my theme to get my sh*& together, last night I actually made dinner--woohoo! It wasn't much of a dinner, but it beats cereal, toast, or peanut butter and apples.

First I roasted up a boatload of brussel sprouts and sliced up carrots. Then I gave Caitlin's Cast Iron Tofu recipe a try (http://www.healthytippingpoint.com/2012/02/cast-iron-tofu.html). I really like tofu, but it has to be cooked well and thus I haven't had it at home in quite some time.



My review: good. Not as good as tofu that I've been served at restaurants or at Whole Foods, but I think that is because I was afraid to sear the tofu on a super high temp. This results in a slightly less crispy exterior, but on the other hand it also reduces the risk of fire in my home. At any rate, I felt good about cooking a solid meal (which I supplemented with some brown rice chips and cherries!) for myself, and my day got even better when Haruki decided to strike some interesting poses for me while we were getting ready for bed:





She layed herself out like this for ten minutes last night, with her left leg and paw just shooting straight up. Kooky dog:-)

This morning I went back for more (can you believe it?!!) oatmeal.




Today I spruced it up with an apple and some Nuttzo Butter. It was good, but I'm having a realization about oatmeal, specifically the fact that my oatmeal is never creamy and gooey, but more like soft, wet oat flakes. Not bad, but not exactly the bowl of oats featured in this video: (http://www.katheats.com/?p=2173). According to David, that's because the oats we buy are still "whole," while most oats are actually cut. WTF? I better google this once I'm done here. For being a self-proclaimed "foodie," I'm kinda dumb:0(

*Do you eat oatmeal? If yes, do you think about eating Captain Crunch Peanut Butter Puffs while doing so?

No comments:

Post a Comment