Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Netflix Knows Your Secrets

Today I thought I'd write about...your mom. 

But seriously, how about some randomness?

Is anyone else's curiosity piqued by Netflix's movie recommendations? The bf and I enjoyed a home movie night--the first time in a long time--and this evening I signed in to Netflix to see that a movie called  Michael is apparently right up my dirty perverted alley. A quote from the synopsis:

"Michael seems like an ordinary -- even boring -- middle-aged guy. But after work, he returns home and unlocks the basement cell where he keeps a 10-year-old boy."

WTF, Netflix?!!? Or maybe I should be asking the bf WTF, right? Like, what does he really do all day when I'm shopping at Whole Foods all day? Perhaps even more funny is the user reviews of Michael. According to one viewer, 

"I would never have imagined that I could enjoy a movie about pedophilia, but I did enjoy this one." 

This is cute because let's face it--we tend to like movies and pictures that confront us with the ugliest, hardest, blackest parts of ourselves. I mean, there's a reason that those wretched videos of pigs being abused in factory farms get circulated so fast and so far--and the reason is that we are fascinated by others who are really, really sick. Sick, angry, violent: now that I think about it, it might also have something to do with why we (and by "we" I'm just deflecting from saying "I" so you won't think I'm gross) like to pop zits and pull blackheads out of our noses with strange sticky strips from Target. It's nasty, for sure, but nasty is kind of interesting.

I'm going to end on that note, and leave you with a nasty little detail courtesy of Scientific American. According to a recent article by Jennifer Ackerman, bacteria cells outnumber human cells by 10 to one in the human body. That means that for every cell of "me" there are ten yucky pussy yeasty cells just swarming around and probably making me weigh more.

*What is Netflix recommending for you? Also, do you enjoy popping zits? (Be honest)

No comments:

Post a Comment