Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pregnancy Woes

Warning! This is going to be a post that centers around pregnancy. But since I haven't given birth yet at least it won't have the words "mucus" or "tearing" in it. Except, of course, just then. 

1) It's 7:21 p.m. and I am already in my pajamas and in bed. Sigh. Whomever said that during the second trimester you get all your energy back is a liar. On most days I do feel more energy and less nausea. But, my friends, that is not true of every day, and certainly not true of all day every day. I guess I'm just getting prepped for what sleep deprivation feels like? So far, it feels awful. I've been dragging all day, with some dizziness this morning to boot. (Don't worry, that is apparently a normal symptom of pregnancy.)

2) To make myself feel better, I ate like crap today. Sigh #2. OK, I didn't eat like total crap, but I did eat three things of which I'm not very proud. (Yah, normally I feel pretty boastful and proud of my peanut butter toast breakfast--don't you?)

3) Part of the reason I ate like crap is that I was depressed because I am suddenly feeling like my regular clothes aren't fitting anymore. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Uh, but dude, you're pregnant. Duh your clothes aren't going to fit anymore." Point taken. But the realization that your clothes are getting too small is rarely something that one enjoys--particularly when that someone used to suffer from an eating disorder. Sighs #3 and #4. I'm going to have to buy maternity jeans, people. I'm going to have to buy new bras because my once tiny breasts have grown to a size that is actually capable of producing cleavage. (A big and new development for me.) Lying on my stomach is bordering on strange because my uterus is making its way north and displacing my once comfortable intestines, stomach, liver, etc., into new territory.

And finally, 4) I have more acne since I'm knocked up. On my nose. On my chin. On my shoulder, for f$%^'s sake.

I still have to feel grateful that my pregnancy journey has been monumentally more easy than lots of women, including those that struggle so profoundly with infertility. I also have to remind myself that there is a real baby in my belly, one that I suspect I will like an awful lot when she arrives. But WTF, shoulder acne?

*Where is the strangest place you've ever had a zit? Be honest--do you enjoy popping zits?

6 comments:

  1. I reckon the strangest place I've had a zit is in my nostril - like, right inside! So painful!
    I love to pop zits, even though it's gross and bad for your skin etc etc...I can't help it, it's my simian roots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David calls me a monkey...glad to hear I'm not the only one:-)

      Delete
  2. Definitely inside of nose. Very painful!
    Also, may I point out that if you weren't pregnant, it would be totally okay to complain about all the things you're complaining about. The fact that you're growing a baby doesn't suddenly make you ineligible for complaining about these things. Yes, you have it better than a lot of people. But that's always true. It doesn't make you obligated to be smiley happy all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, you're right. I'm just wary because I know that on blogs people can really let loose with a lot of critical stuff, especially when it pertains to birth, fertility, etc. (I recently started reading a web site on pregnancy and fertility.)

      Delete
  3. Dizziness can sometimes mean dehydration. Are you drinking enough water? Drink lots of water. I promise your energy will come back. And it's okay to eat like crap sometimes (especially since I bet your "like crap" is normal for lots of normal people.) Also, while yes, the eating disorder issues probably do not help things, every pregnant women has moments of feeling the exact same way you do. Go shopping. Spend a couple hundred bucks. Buy maternity clothes that fit and make you feel good and all will get better! PROMISE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you're such a good friend! Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm going to do some shopping next week, I promise. It really does help to know that all pregnant women go through this adjustment.
      P.S. I swear I'm going to do some artwork decorating soon, too. [ Not that your post today was a big finger pointed right at me or anything:-) ]

      Delete