Thursday, March 14, 2013

Someone's a Cookie Monster!!! (Or soon will be)

Today I did a few things that I don't usually do. The first unexpected turn in my day came pretty early, when I decided to go to a yoga class instead of my usual TRX weight-suspension class. My bottom and pectoral muscles were pretty sore this morning, so instead of hurting them more I decided to try an "Organic Yoga" class at my gym. It was...as expected, i.e. not a cardiovascular workout but still worthwhile in some sense. I could definitely be more stretchy, so perhaps I'll keep giving it a go.

Before yoga, however, I had breakfast. Raisin bran, to be precise.




This is not unusual, though it's is somewhat new. I don't usually eat cereal for breakfast, but lately it has sounded tasty.

After yoga I came home to shower, eat lunch, and do some editing on my dissertation. But, because it was such a nice day here today I decided to go back down to town to do work in a sunny coffee shop. While there, I was persuaded to buy a freshly-baked oatmeal raisin cookie--unusual thing no. 2! It was, without a doubt, the best oatmeal raisin cookie (and maybe just best cookie full stop) that I've ever had.




Cookies in general aren't really my jam, but this was amazing--really, the perfect blend between brown sugar, butter, and warming spices. Crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside, AKA heaven.

Um, anyway. After eating this cookie and working for awhile it was time for my shift at the Humane Society. First, I walked a dog named Lacey:




Whom I walked in this setting:




So, you know, not a bad day or afternoon.

Since I knew David had a business dinner tonight I took myself to Whole Foods for dinner, where I ate some of this:




And now I'm eating fruit leather and trying to figure out if I should watch a movie or read Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad. I'm in a new book club and we're discussing Egan's book in about a month.

*Anyone read it? Like it? Hate it? Does anyone out there like fruit leather?

2 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm so jealous you're in a book club!! I have wanted to join once since I graduated and discovered that people who aren't English majors don't enjoy listening to me ramble on about whatever I'm reading. My parents used to buy us WF fruit leather all the time when I my sister and I were younger but I don't think I've had it since. Oatmeal cookies on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is actually the second book club I've been in. The first one ended somewhat tragically, so I'm hoping this one goes better...

      Delete