Thursday, July 19, 2012

Menses-Schmenses

Umm, so I'm going to write about menstruation here, so all you peeps who don't want to read about girl crap--peace out!

Ahem.

I've decided to write about menstruation because I'm currently experiencing an unfortunate influx of girl hormones. As a result:

1) I am tired.
2) I feel lazy and worthless and unable to do the simplest of tasks.
3) I feel fat.
4) I suddenly feel even more uncoordinated in my group exercise classes.
5) I feel doubt about everything.
6) David's poop jokes are less funny.
7) David is generally less funny.

Now I read _Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret_ the same as every other adolescent girl, so I know about the slew of "symptoms" that are associated with PMS. But really, who gives a shit about cramps and acne when the most disturbing part of hormones is that they make you feel like you're not yourself. Anyone? Is it just me?

Because I stopped having my period for about three years, from ~27-30, and was previously on a birth control pill that regulated my cycle, the last year or so of having real, hormonally unregulated menstrual cycles has come as something of a shock. It took a lot concerted effort for me to get my period back after I lost it, so I don't say this lightly ... but, man it was great not having a period!

*So, umm, can someone else weigh in on this issue? Are you affected by menstrual hormones at all? (Or do I just have a mood disorder?!!!)

*Also, any thoughts about attitudes towards PMS in other cultures? Somehow I doubt that I'd be boo-hooing about "not feeling like myself" if I lived in rural Africa...

4 comments:

  1. You are definitely not alone! Once a month I turn into a complete psycho, and am 100% convinced that everyone around me has turned on me, are taking advantage of me & saying things about me behind my back. It's horrible! Most of the time I don't realise what was going on until after it's all over, too - so it's embarrassing as well as unpleasant for all involved, and sometimes I have to apologise to those around me for my awful behaviour :( I am so grateful that my body is doing what it should be doing, but geez, does it have to be such a drama-queen about it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GAH this is _such_ a relief to hear!!! Did your mother/father/parental person(s) tell you about the hormonal aspects of PMS when you were younger? My Mom told me about cramps and stuff, but I really wish we would've had a talk about periodically feeling like that guy in _The Shining_!

      Delete
  2. Haha you are SO not alone!! The same thing happens to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...if there isn't anything "wrong" with me and this happens to all/most women, then maybe we should be given a lifetime of free monthly massages and/or therapy sessions when we hit puberty...

      Delete