Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pseudopost

Yes, I'm afraid this will be just what the title suggests--a pseudopost. I'm positively exhausted. I just thought I'd drop in with a baby update, namely, that I'm exactly thirty-eight weeks pregnant today. Wow. WTF happened to the last nine months, people? I mean, given that every single week since January 10ish has seemed interminable, the time sure did go quickly. 

In general I'm still feeling pretty good physically. I attribute this to not having gained a ton of weight and continuing to stay really active. However, there's only so much that you can do to stay comfortable when you're carrying around a decent amount of weight in a strange bullet-shaped mound on your belly. Sigh. Getting comfortable at night has really become a challenge, as side sleeping has started to make my hips sore. Also, the random bouts of insomnia, usually where I wake up and can't go back to sleep for 1-2 hours (in addition to waking up every three hours to use the bathroom), are getting OLD. 

My back hurts too. I'm having sciatica, aka, sharp needle-like pulses of pain in my back that shoot all the way down to my calves. 

All in all I'm lucky that this level of "doneness" with pregnancy and its negative side effects has taken this long to kick in. One thing that I didn't expect, however, and with which I'm not coping as well, is anxiety. I've looked it up online and it appears that feelings of anxiety and being overwhelmed are pretty typical for the end of pregnancy. Double sigh. I wish I would've been more prepared for this. When the flood evacuees were staying with us I was literally paralyzed by the uncertainty of the whole situation. Thinking now about how many people will be using our road to access the flood zone, and how much Haruki is going to continually bark at them, is stressing me out. Hearing David say that he's having a friend fly out right after the birth so that they can spend several days filming a video for Popsockets is scaring the shit out of me and making me wonder if I can even take care of the baby by myself--all day and all night--while he teaches, does his usual work with Popsockets, and also does the video. 

Whew. The slightly good news is that I was able to take a shower in my own bathroom today, unlike a lot of people who live near us and have been dislocated because of the flood. In addition, it turns out that all of the pain management techniques I've been learning are also pretty useful for anxiety attacks. I may have boosted the relaxing effects of these breathing exercises with a shit-ton of alphabet cookies and toffee, but what the hell--only two more weeks before everyone starts asking me how I'm going to lose the baby weight, right? :-) Heh. 

*What's stressing you out right now? Does it warrant the stress you feel, or are you perhaps at the mercy of some chemical/hormonal melee?

No comments:

Post a Comment