Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Tree Woes

Is it snowing where you are? I mean, is anyone in the US getting a "normal" winter thus far? In Boulder, CO we definitely are not. I bring this up that because it did, in fact, snow last night, though it was completely unexpected.

Also, is it just me, or does it totally _not_ seem like Christmas is in two weeks? I used to feel caught by surprise when Christmas rolled around every year, but I always figured it was because the academic semester kept me busy right up until the 18th or 19th of December. I thought that once I quit taking and/or teaching classes that that feeling would change, but so far it has not. I mean, I see all the eggnog at the grocery store, and I get excited to smell the Christmas trees for sale outside the grocery store, but there's just something lacking in my anticipation for the holiday. I think it's excitement. Boo.

Currently this is because we've had a set back in our Christmas tree efforts. Originally David and I agreed that because we just got back from our trip and he just went on another trip that we'd just lay low this year and skip the tree and decorating. But my mom had other ideas, and last weekend I went with her, my Dad, my brother Chris, his wife Sarah, and their two daughters to a Christmas tree farm outside of Winter Park, Colorado.

I'll just stop here and say that you should do something like this if you haven't already. It was a really nice holiday tradition that (at the time) helped to get me more festive.

Chris and I even stood next to each other:




Riley did snow angels:




My mom had brought a sled, too, so we went sledding down some of the hills in the tree farm and laughed and giggled the whole time. Seriously. And you should know that this is not how my family operates; this gives you some idea of the cute factor of this activity.

And, after everyone else had chosen a tree to take home, I sawed down this poor little tree just because I thought it was cute:




Despite my agreement with David, this little guy was just calling to me. And despite my smiling face, I actually did have a moment where it seemed bad or mean to basically kill this tree and prevent it from growing. (I suspect there were girl hormones involved in this thought process.)

Anyhow, I was really glad about my cute tree and even went shopping at my mom's house for some "new" ornaments and lights for it. (Am I the only one who "shops" at their parents' house because--let's face it: they already have a load of stuff and they can probably afford to buy more/newer ones?)

But then I tried to set it up on my new tree stand and have regretted my decision ever since. The thing is too small. It's little trunk is too small to stay securely in the stand, even after we wrapped a towel around its base.

Here is David begrudgingly helping me this afternoon:




And here is Haruki wondering why the f$&* her afternoon walk is being delayed for this stupid smelly shrub:




As you can (kinda) tell from the photo above, we didn't really get it straight and it really needs to be leaned against something to ensure that it doesn't tip over.

Sigh. No tree lights for me this year.

*Have you put up a Christmas tree this year? Is it pretty and bright and festive? Also, do people wear "puffer" jackets where you live? In France this seemed to be a dead giveaway that I was American, as there were _no_ French peeps wearing puffer jackets or vests.

No comments:

Post a Comment