Friday, December 14, 2012

A Sad Day

By now I'm sure everyone knows why it's a very sad day. Am I the only one who sits in front of CNN and cries when events like this take place? It feels so gratuitous, really, since I don't know anyone who was directly affected by this most recent tragedy, and yet I can't stop myself from staring at the screen, imagining what these families are suffering, and just generally getting upset about it.

It's strange, actually, because I don't remember being very affected by the Columbine High School shootings, despite the fact that I was in a high school about twenty-five minutes from Columbine when those shootings took place. Columbine was one of the schools we competed against in sports and that year at a graduation party I remember witnessing a student graduating from Columbine completely break down, even as the rest of us were greedily drinking beer and doing other stupid crap.

Perhaps I was just too young to grasp how shocking it was. Or perhaps it's because I have young nieces now, or because David and I are trying to start a family. In any case, I'm shocked and heartbroken now, and thinking about those families in Connecticut.

Anything I say now seems trite, now doesn't it? I'll just say that I hope you all are able to savor some warm words, or hugs, or love with your family and friends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment