Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tomatoes

Hey friends! Happy Tuesday to you all! I hope you slept well last night. We had a splotchy night of sleep because it was storming something fierce for a big part of the night. Recently we've been having storms that are straight out of The Wizard of Oz they're so strong. I put ear plugs in last night because the wind and rain was so loud, but poor Haruki doesn't got no ear plugs:-( She doesn't totally freak out and bark and cry when it's storming, but she definitely gets scared and nervous. Oh, Ruki, if only I could speak English to you and explain things.

Speaking of explaining, I've been doing some thinking about tomatoes, since my mother-in-law brought us a big yellow heirloom from her garden recently. Now, I like tomatoes. I like tomatoes in stuff. But until recently I didn't really like tomatoes enough to put them on a slice of bread and eat them. That is, however, until I discovered a few types of tomatoes that are just dee-licious! For instance, those Early Girl tomatoes that I ate on pesto sandwiches a few weeks ago. And now, the heirloom tomato that I ate on toast last night for part of dinner.




Yes, I swear that that is a tomato on toast. With balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and some parmesan cheese too. It was good.

Anyhow, my point here is that I don't think I liked tomatoes for the longest time because the tomatoes that we bought while growing up were just terrible! Sorry Mom and Dad, but it's true! We would buy the cheapest conventional tomatoes that they had at the store, and then we would store them in the refrigerator. I mean, yuck, right? Most of the time they weren't even ripe and I realize now that they didn't taste remotely like real tomatoes do.

Weird, right? Are there any foods or veggies like tomatoes that were perhaps not shown to their best advantage in your childhood home, and which you're now less likely to enjoy?

I also ate broccoli last night:




And enjoyed it all in front of the TV while I watched the US Open.




This isn't exactly the prettiest dinner blogger set-up, but I was starving and it worked for me:-)

*Where do you eat most of your meals?

1 comment:

  1. Uh yeah, most my meals are eaten on my couch in front of the TV. I've read a billion things that say that's "bad," but I just don't really care :P I just learned (like a week ago!) that you aren't supposed to refrigerate tomatoes. I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete