Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pesto Madness

So all you peeps with gardens are probably on to this already, but a garden = basil, which = all the pesto you could ever want! I'm a pretty lucky girl because my friend Liz has a garden and recently she bestowed upon me some of the basil that she's been reaping from her garden. In other words, I get to reap the benefits while someone else does all the work! It's a real win-win in my book. I Googled a really simple pesto recipe and this was the result:




OMG it smelled so fresh and delicious after I made it. It still does too, but it was particularly good on a chip out of the food processor. The last time I made arugula pesto it turned out a bit "off," so I was especially glad that this batch turned out.

In addition to giving me the basil, my friend Liz also regaled me with tips about what to do with pesto, including an idea for a margherita sandwich with uber-fresh tomatoes, lots of pesto, and fresh mozzarella. Since my friend Shannon was coming over for lunch yesterday I decided to give it a whirl. This was the result:




Seriously. This was good. I put it on Pepita bread from Whole Foods, sprinkled it with salt and pepper, and drizzled a tiny bit of olive oil on it. It's true what they say about fresh simple foods being the best, isn't it? It's hard to imagine that three years ago I wouldn't have touched this plate with a ten-foot pole because it had olive oil and cheese on it.

After hanging out with Shannon yesterday I went to get my teeth cleaned. If you know anything about pregnancy and dental health then you know that dentist = ouch. Apparently bacteria in your mouth just thrive when your body is being pumped full of estrogen and progesterone. Great for me. At least it will get better and go back to normal after baby.

For dinner David and I met our friends Adam and Michaela at Native Foods, where we haven't dined in quite some time. I had the Bangkok Curry bowl, which was pretty good but not exceptional.




What can I say, though? I'm a sucker for anything with tofu too.

*Is there an ingredient that you can't resist on a menu--even if it's accompanied by other ingredients that aren't your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment