Thursday, November 21, 2013

Snow!

It has arrived!






I can't say I'm entirely happy about it, but I suppose it does make the landscape round here look pretty magical. We were supposed to get two to five inches, and it looks like we got closer to two. I just hope it doesn't snow a lot on too many days this winter. Staying home with an infant when you can't readily leave the house sounds like a recipe for weight gain or postpartum depression--I can't decide which:-)

Is it snowing where you are? Can you peeps believe that next week is Thanksgiving? It's kind of strange for me, since for the last two years David and I have actually been out of the country for Thanksgiving. That sounds really glamorous, but two years ago we took a work trip to England at Thanksgiving--where we got engaged--and then one year ago we went to France over Thanksgiving--where we started trying for our first baby. I guess that second trip was kind of glamorous in retrospect:-) 

In case you're wondering--and since I brought it up--Emily was not conceived in France. Sadly, the only thing that we returned with besides our luggage is about five pounds. But, seriously, what are you going to do when you're eating breakfast on a lake in Switzerland and there is a cheese plate being offered to you? Right?


A lake. In Switzerland. At which I ate cheese. And nutella. Lots of nutella.




Actually, I've been thinking a lot lately about the travels that I've taken. Coincidence? I don't think so. There's something about being chained (in a good way…hehe) to a baby and, to some degree, your house, that makes you think about and long for the travels you've taken. I'm already dreaming about the day when Emily is old enough to stay with her grandparents so that David and I can take a weekend trip to Crested Butte or something. I'm longing for the days when David and I first started dating and we spontaneously decided to take a day trip to Vail so we could ride our road bikes in the mountains around there. 

On the plus side, Emily is seven weeks old today and things are starting to get interesting. She's developing new cries (besides the screaming that means "holy fuck where is my milk"), smiling at me, and generally just plumping up. I like a plump baby with a big round face so this is a good thing. Here's a recent pic of her.  




Sweet mohawk, right? She already has twice the hair that her father has:-)

*What trips do you daydream about taking or having took? (I'm too tired to worry about whether "having took" is grammatical. Sorry.)

3 comments:

  1. That onesie! Be glad you didn't have to go out in the snow. It barely snowed and everyone was still driving like it was a blizzard. I think we're going to try for Spain and France for our honeymoon and I couldn't more excited. I'm fine with gaining 5 pounds of cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely go to France and Spain for your honeymoon if you can! If you go to Paris I'd recommend staying in an apartment rental rather than an hotel. In particular, in the Marais district. It's the fourth arrondissement and a really cool, up-and-coming area. That's where we stayed and we really liked everything about it.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nikki! I hope you enjoyed the holidays! I was hoping you could email me at about a question I have regarding you blog! My name is Heather and if you could email me at Lifesabanquet1(at)gmail(dot)com I would greatly appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete