Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Adieu

If I were going by the congestion in the Whole Foods parking lot here in Boulder, I'd say that a lot of people took today off from work to get ready for the holiday! Whew! I stopped by Whole Foods and Target after a gym session this morning (actually, I walked to Whole Foods and Target--it was much easier than driving and parking), and both places were juiced.

I had to get a few present-wrapping items at Target, and at Whole Foods I was getting something for lunch as well as some holiday cheer. Whole Foods is, like, the best place to wander around in during the holidays. Samples and sugar everywhere!!! And everyone seems so happy to be buying and planning food schtuffs.

Lunch:




Tofu spring roll. Meh. A nice change of pace but nothing special.

After lunch I came home to bake my salty cookie dough. Yup. As my friend and reader Julia mentioned in the comments to yesterday's post, cookie recipes don't use salted butter. But, in my defense, my cookie recipe just called for "butter," and I was under the impression that "butter" = salted butter and "unsalted butter," when it is called for, is specifically stated.

At any rate, I baked my salty cookies, and they actually aren't overly salty. Woohoo! They also aren't the best cookies I've ever had, but at least they are edible.

And, they're pretty!


That's sprinkled sugar up there, not salt. 





In case you couldn't tell, that's a soft chewy ginger cookie and a chocolate-snowball-type-deal.

After making and tasting these cookies, I'm more convinced than ever that I'm just not that much of a cookie person. Yah, yah, I know what you're thinking: "Well, Nikki, maybe you're just not a salty cookie person," but seriously, they don't tasty salty!!!

But I have a lot of cookies sitting on my kitchen counter and I don't have any desire to go eat them. If it was a yummy piece of cake or maybe a decent scone things would be different, but cookies? Not so much. If I had made this, like I used to do, that would also be a different story. As in, don't make that crack because it can't be good to eat that much butter on your own, even if it is near Christmas.

So, with that I'm going to bid you all good day. David and I are going on a date tonight, and will hopefully find ourselves walking on Pearl Street later tonight with lots of lights and holiday spirit. I'm not sure if I will post on Monday and I'm confident I won't have time to post on Tuesday. So, I wish you all a very, very warm and happy Christmas!

Oh, and here's a festive picture of me and my new niece Courtney when we had holiday tea at The Brown Palace hotel a few weekends ago:



Merry X-Mas!!

*Have you ever made that Christmas Crack? How is your recovery going?

No comments:

Post a Comment